Why Invest in Tripura
The Strategic Location
• Natural/ historical links with Bangladesh. Potential gateway between Bangladesh and North East.
• 856 Km. long border with Bangladesh. 7 designated Land Custom Stations. Healthy official trade growth; four-fold increase since 2006-07.
• Developing linkages with trade/industry of Bangladesh.
• Lowering of tariff/ non-tariff barriers with SAFTA coming into force w.e.f. 01.01.2006.
• Passenger Bus Service between Agartala and Dhaka has been started.
• Bangladesh has agreed to provide India access to Chittagong Port for movement of goods to and from India by road and rail, to declare Ashuganj as Port-of-call and for establishing Agartala- Akhaura Rail Link.
• Tripura is ideally located to become the 'Gateway to the North East India'
The location of Tripura is strategic in the International context, being between Bangladesh on one side and South East Asia on the other. In the past, the State had natural communication link - roads, rail and waterways – with and through Bangladesh. Efforts are on for revival of these. Many major cities of Bangladesh and towns in Tripura are closely located, such as Agartala-Dhaka – 150 km; Kailashahar-Sylhet – 90 km; Sabroom-Chittagong – 75 km; Sonamura-Comilla – 25 km etc. The direct distance between Agartala and Kolkata, through Bangladesh, is only 350 km.
The agreements signed between India and Bangladesh during the visit of the Prime Minister of Bangladesh to India in January 2010 have opened new vistas for establishing closer links between Tripura and Bangladesh. The Govt. of Bangladesh has agreed to provide India access to Chittagong Port for movement of goods to and from India through road and rail. It has also been agreed to operationalise the Sabroom (Tripura)-Ramgarh (Bangladesh) Land Custom Station which is only about 75 km. from Chittagong Port. This will make transit through Bangladesh a reality and will make Tripura the Gateway to the North East. There are agreements to establish other transport links between Tripura and Bangladesh as well.
The State is gearing to perform its natural and geographically assigned role of the Gateway to the North East India.